Monday, February 16, 2009

Walking Brooklyn: Vinegar Hill


I first encountered Vinegar Hill when I took a wrong turn off D.U.M.B.O. This desolate but charming neighborhood, marking Brooklyn's end, is all cobblestone stretches of road and long-forgotten storefronts. The neighborhood is small and is best walked slowly, taking it all in.

I was reminded of my first summer trek here, recently, when I was checking out reviews for a restaurant in the area, Vinegar Hill House (from the owners behind Freemans). The restaurant is supposed to be an exciting addition to the otherwise isolated neighborhood. I'm hoping to try it out soon. But for me, walking the neighborhood again will be the real treat. Where else in Brooklyn can you find antiquated barbershops, a bright yellow Buddhist temple, and an Old Admirals Mansion with a 50's Studebaker parked in the driveway.

Forgotten-NY has some great photographs of the neighborhood on their website.

No comments:

Post a Comment