Saturday, February 14, 2009

Art on Atlantic


Lately, I've been reading a lot about the economies adverse effect on the art world. And honestly, I think that change is for the better. I have never been a fan of the idea that art should be created for the highest bidder. While an old photo of Madonna's crotch sells for $37,500 at Christies, some of the greatest works of art remain unseen by the average New Yorker.

I genuinely believe that art can bring communities together, and that every person can appreciate art if given the opportunity. However, art for many people does not seem accessible or relatable. I think a lot of this feeling is enforced by how art is viewed. Museums often are large and imposing, and smaller galleries can be intimidating for people who aren't a part of the scene.

In Europe you can wander freely between museums. In New York you either pay or have to ponder the appropriate suggested donation before you enter. It's a situation that can be discouraging. That's why, I've always been a fan of Target Free Fridays at MOMA, and I am an even bigger fan of their new effort to bring art to the masses.

MOMA has recently created recreations of great works of arts and installed them at the Atlantic Avenue/Pacific Station. I think the setting of this display is the most important part of this effort, because it allows the average commuter to take a step back and appreciate something that otherwise seems elusive.

No comments:

Post a Comment