Monday, July 20, 2009

Sadvertising works

“Although under some circumstances consumers may respond
more favorably to ads that feature positive rather than negative emotions,
this is not always the case,” the authors explain. “Instead, how favorably
consumers respond to ads depends on whether the amount of mental resources
they devote to the ad is comparable to the amount of such resources that are
needed to optimally appreciate and understand key aspects of the ad.”

"When consumers are interested in an ad, they are better able to devote mental
resources to thinking about it, the authors explain. Therefore advertising aimed at
interested consumers can tap into more complicated emotions, such as bittersweet
nostalgia, anxiety, and guilt." - Journal of Consumer research


I've never been a big fan of smiling people and positive messages, it all comes off very pharma to me. I don't know if this true for everyone, but I always had a special place in my heart for Sadvertising: the kind of advertising that gets to you a little, and perhaps even leaves you thinking a little ( I know it's a lot to ask of a commercial). And such sentimentality can get a little sappy, that's why you need to do it just right. Case and point one of my favorite commercials of all time:

No comments:

Post a Comment